Skip to content

My experience of internsips

This is where you can post up your own experiences of trying to get an internship.

We think this manifesto will be much more powerful if you tell us your own stories to do with internships.

3 results found

1. I'm a first class hons grad, I've interned for over a year at my expense for magazines in London.

I have struggled terribly to afford to live, I have had jobs on the side and interned in annual leave and in spare time, all of the money I saved went towards living costs and to travel to and from London. Some placements that I have completed were completely at my own expense and travel costs could not be refunded, a few were able to contribute but they don't come close to matching the £400 a month I pay just to travel in and out of London. I live in Buckinghamshire and I am struggling even to find temp work…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Not getting a minimum wage was a big demotivating factor.

I did not want a high paying job, but not getting paid for a job that required you to manage your workload, use complex softwares and be responsible for customers was a big 'demotivating' factor, which constantly made be annoying

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I work days up to 17 hours long, 7 days a week, daren't complain for fear of ruining job prospects.

I have spoken to a few of my paid colleagues, and some of them interned for 14 months, up to 4 days a week, 9-5 until they were offered a job. I don't have the time or money to do this, and I don't understand why it is allowed. I totally value the experience I am getting (apart from the consistent laminating...)
    I know the music/festival business is difficult to get into, but I never imagined this was the way forward. I moved to London so I could make the most of the opportunities, yet I am struggling financially due…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?